Would you name your child 'Sanitiser'?by Laura Driver
What to name your children can be a difficult decision. There are a lot of factors to be taken into account. Do we go with a family name, an unusual name, something traditional or something trendy?
Imagine naming your child after a global pandemic? Which is what these people did;
For Omvir Singh from Sahanranpur in India the decision was easy when they called their newborn ‘Sanitiser’ during the Coronavirus Pandemic with Dad saying "Whenever people will talk of corona, they will remember that it was sanitiser that saved them"
Yes, with people being urged to keep their hands clean to reduce the rate of transmission, the pair decided to call their child Sanitiser. They said they chose the name as the disinfectant has the capacity to fight against the virus and added that medical staff were left smiling when they announced what they were going to call their child. "Everyone is fighting against this virus, from our prime minister to ordinary people. This is our contribution."
And they aren’t the first parents to give their child a Coronavirus inspired name. Mum Preeti Verma from Chhattisgarh in Central India gave birth to twins in lockdown and named them ‘Corona’ and ‘Covid’ saying that the names of her newborn boy and girl would remind her of what was happening during the week of their birth. She said: "Indeed the virus is dangerous and life-threatening, but its outbreak made people focus on sanitation, hygiene and inculcate other good habits. Thus, we thought about these names." Preeti also said “The delivery happened after facing several difficulties and therefore, my husband and I wanted to make the day memorable,” Preeti Verma, the 27-year-old mother of the twins, told news agency Press Trust of India.
It certainly will be memorable.
Whatever next… Come here ‘Lockdown’? Time for lunch ‘Ventilator’? You may laugh but we came across some other names during our research;
- The baby girl named Marijuana Pepsi, in the seventies. Just for the record, the Wisconsin teacher says she's never touched the drug
- By the early 90s there were over 300 people (mostly girls) named Abcd, (But never Abcdef, for some reason.)
- One wacky couple caused an internet row by apparently naming her baby daughter Hashtag, after the popular Twitter symbol, in 2012.
- After rejecting "Lucifer," "V8," and "Fish and Chips," the New Zealand government decided to approve the baby name Number 16 Bus Shelter
- Not one, but two babies born in 1954 were christened "Window."
- Parents of three singers couldn’t decide whom to name their daughter after. So, they named her Britney Shakira Beyoncé
- One mother called her child L’Oreal, her other two children are called DKNY and Joop
- In Egypt, Jamal Ibrahim named his baby girl Facebook to acknowledge the role the social media played in spurring the revolution in his country.
- Another Facebook inspired name is Like A young couple was so much obsessed with Facebook that they decided to name their child after the Like feature.
So, there you have it, naming your child can be difficult… but please think about how the name you give them today will affect them in the future. We beg you!