Baby Sleeping Tips for Tired New Parentsby Laura Driver
Here are some of our tips for newborn babies and parents to get some sleep:
- Muffle your bedroom door by looping a thick rubber band between both door knobs to form an X shape over the door latch
- Watch for newborns’ wakeful periods and put them to sleep as soon as they appear tired.
- If your baby is sleeping in your room do all your bedtime preparation out of the bedroom
- Buy an LED push night light that operates on batteries so it can be mobile to use during night feeds and nappy changes. This avoids you turning on a brighter light
- Blackout blinds or curtains are really popular for keeping the room that your little one sleeps in dark. You can also get travel blackout products
- Incorporate baby massage into the bedtime routine to wind down and calm your little one
- Change your baby’s nappy before the nighttime feed to minimise waking them up fully
- Put a hot water bottle in the Moses basket or cot to warm it up a little before you transfer them from your arms to bed.